Who can apply to EMSHIP+ Master 120 ?
EMSHIP+ corresponds exactly to the needs of the European and Worldwide Marine Industry.
Candidates can apply for EMSHIP+ Master in Advanced Ship Design WITH or WITHOUT scholarship
English practice is mandatory as all the lectures are in English.
Candidates may be eligible to the both tracks (master study and Post graduate Study). They can apply to both programs (see “Application” in the Menu). It is however recommended to carefully compare the 2 programs and select accordingly (at least mention your preference). Feel free to contact Prof P. Rigo, Emship coordinator, if you have any questions on this issue.
It is not required to have a pre-existing background in Naval Architecture or Ship and Offshore Technology. However, interest and high motivation to these activity fields is expected. For Track 1, as the master is shared with the Master of Mechanics, some prerequisites exist.
COMPARISON between the 2 Education Programs (click here)
Master Study M120 (track 1) and Post Graduate Study M90 (track 2)
Eligibility Conditions :
For Track 1 (Master Studies), the targeted candidates are:
- Undergraduate Students having a BSc (typically a bachelor in 3 years as in Europe (called BAC+3), or in 4-5 years in other countries). If specialized, the bachelor should be in Mechanics, Aero, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Civil Engineering, Material engineering or related fields;
- Engineers with a Master degree (MSc , BAC+5) in Mechanical Engineering, Marine Engineering, Civil Engineering or related fields, searching for advanced education in Marine Hydrodynamics, in Ship and offshore Design, Ship and offshore Structures, Production, and Information Technology (to upgrade his existing knowledge);
- Engineers looking to start a career in classification societies, R&D units or in maritime engineering companies;
- Candidates looking for an ideal preparation for a PhD (or R&D) in the maritime field;
- All Candidates must have a relevant background in : (See Prerequisites)
- Mathematics, Physics, Numerical Analysis
- Physics of materials, Applied thermodynamics ,
- Mechanics, Mechanics of materials, Solid mechanics,
- Fluid mechanics
Track 1 is open to students having at least a bachelor in 3 years (180 credits), but there are some prerequisites. Of course students having bachelor in 4 or 5 years, or students with a master degree are also welcome, but similarly, the same prerequisites apply.
The eligibility of the applicants, which do not have an engineering bachelor degree from ULG (Univ of Liege, Belgium), has to be validated by the Admission Committee of the School of Engineering of ULG. Only the students having at least a Bachelor [degree awarded before the 1st Sept of the year the EMSHIP program starts (*)] and who satisfy the relevant prerequisites will be eligible. Therefore, it is important that you provide clear information about the courses you have studied (or still studying) before to start MESHIP .
(*) this means you can apply in Oct-Dec to start in Sept the year after, with the condition that you will have your Bachelor degree before 1st (15th) Sept of that year.
To be admitted at this Joint Programme “EMSHIP+ - Advanced Design of Ships and Offshore Structures”, candidates must fulfil the following conditions:
- be holders of a “Bachelor of Science” or “Bachelor of Engineering” degree, with at least 180 ECTS (credits), in Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Civil Engineering or related fields (*)
- have appropriate command of English language
(*) A master in one of these fields is also accepted
and one of the following conditions:
- Be holder of a “bachelier en sciences de l’ingénieur, orientation ingénieur civil”, with 180 ECTS (Belgium);
- Be holder of a “Master en sciences industrielles” or “Master en sciences de l’ingénieur industriel” (Belgium)
- Be holders of a “Bachelor of Science” degree , with 180 ECTS (Poland)
- Be graduated from the studies of a second cycle with at least a total of 210 ECTS obtained during the studies (Poland),
- Be holders of another degree considered similar to those mentioned above (at least 180 ECTS) with the agreement of the academic authorities of ULg
Prerequisites (click here)
Typical ULg BACHELOR Program
For Track 2 (M90 - Post Graduate studies) :
The targeted candidates are:
- Candidates having already a master degree in engineering (or equivalent as a BSc giving access to the profession of Engineer, …) that would like to get a specialisation in Ship and Offshore Design. Typically a previous education in Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Maritime engineering, Ship officers, Mechanical, Aero Engineering, Civil Engineering, etc. are suitable;
- Active engineering officers with 3-5 years seafaring work experience, which are looking for upgraded knowledge to better fulfil their carrier objectives. There is indeed a large demand from ship-owners and port authorities to hire such officers, knowing what on-board service is, to manage and maintain their fleet;
- Engineers looking to start a career in a shipyard, ship owner, manufacturer, classification societies,...
- Candidates looking for complementary education in the Sailing Pleasure Crafts and Mega/Motor Yachts, but also in Safer and Cleaner Maritime and Inland Navigation transportation modes.
- Experienced Engineers or professionals searching for advanced education in Hydrodynamics in Ship Design, Ship Production, Information Technology and Ship Structures.
According to Article 54 of the decree of March 31, 2004 (Belgium) in order to be eligible to the EMship program, a student must hold a: master degree obtained after five years of studies (called BAC+5).
In Belgium, five years of studies are equivalent to 300 credits (60 credits for each year) = BAC+5.
Typically, your application can be accepted if you hold at least a 3 years bachelor degree and a 2 years master degree, or a 4 years bachelor degree and a one-year master degree.
However, if you do not fulfill these conditions (for instance you have no master or you have only 4 years of education), there are some special situations for which you can be accepted.
Special Eligibility Conditions (5 steps to follow)
In order to confirm the eligibility of a candidate, ULG will check the application through the following steps (from the easy and straight forward, to the more complex situations).
See also informations in FAQ.
For more information about general conditions (Track 2) for all nationalities download the following document.
Download Eligibility conditions M90, Track 2
If you have a question about your eligibility for EMSHIP (Track 1 or Track2) please
complete this document and send it to Prof Ph RIGO