Master Program in Naval Architecture –Design of Ship and Offshore structures
(Master studies- 120 credits)
The “EMSHIP M120” master is organised in 4 semesters, in 24 months and contains 120 Credits
The EMSHIP master mobility scheme includes 4 semesters in 2 or 3 different countries and cultures.
Semesters 1 and 2 (1st year): Univ. of Liege (ULG), Belgium – 60 credits
University of Liege (ULG) – Master in Mechanical Engineering - specialization in Advanced Ship and Offshore Design
- Lectures in Mechanics (30 credits)
- Lectures in Ship Technology, Ship Structure, Ship Hydrodynamics and Ship Design (30 credits)
Semesters 3 and 4 (2nd year): in France (ECN), Germany (URO) or Poland (ZUT) – 60 Credits
Students must select one of the following universities for the 2nd year :
- Ecole Centrale de Nantes (ECN, Fr) Ship Hydrodynamics & Ocean Engineering
- Rostock (URO, Germany) Ship Technology & Ocean Engineering
- Szczecin (ZUT, Poland) Advanced Ship & Offshore Structures.
The EMSHIP master study also includes a Master thesis and an Internship, which can be performed at ECN, URO and ZUT, but also with a 3rd EMSHIP partner university (with 3rd mobility), such as:
- Galati (UGAL, Romania) Manoeuvring and Propulsion
- Nantes (ICAM, France) Composites materials & Design of Offshore wind turbines
- Southampton (SOLENT, UK) Yacht Design
or Genoa (UNIGE, Italy) Sailing and Motor Yachts (TO BE CONFIRMED)
- Istanbul (ITU, Turkey) Naval Hydrodynamics
or with a Top World University, EMSHIP associate partner, such as:
- University of Michigan (UoM, NAME, USA).
- University of Osaka (NAOE, Japan).
- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ, Brazil).
- University of New South Wales (UNSW, Australia)
- Pusan University (PNU, Korea)
After Semester S3 (30 credits of lectures), the students will start their Internship and master thesis
Selection of the master thesis and internship will be done through a continuous process during S3 (starting in September and finishing in Dec)
SAB meeting (Industrial Emship Partners) in late January (2 days) with the two current cohorts, at one of the EU partners.
- M2 students can report about experience to M1 students.
- M2 students may meet the SAB industrial partners : to discuss about their internship/master thesis (topics selected in Dec) and to identify potential job opportunities.
- Some (5) graduated students (of the former cohort, graduated the previous Sept) can be invited to present their thesis in front of industrial SAB members and students (M1 and M2).
SEMESTER S4 (30 credits) - Master Thesis and Internship (Final project):
The thesis and Internship are performed under the supervision of the university where the candidate follows the 30 credit lectures, in collaboration with a company from the maritime industry, e.g. a shipyard or an associated research institution; in any case under the supervision of this local university and the EMShip Master Management Committee.
For practical reasons, the presentation (Defence) of the Master Thesis will be held in the student’s university of his/her 2nd year (M2).
A first graduation ceremony will be done locally end of September at ECN, URO and ZUT.
A more formal graduation Ceremony (combined with the candidates of the next enrolment period) will be held for all students at ULG (Belgium) around 15th October.
PLANNING of the Master 120:
The planning of the lectures, visit, projects and evaluation is presented here after. It must be considered as a tentative planning of the EMSHIP M120 master course. It shows how the various lectures, from different institutions, are carefully integrated to form a coherent 120 credits master course programme (attendances is optional, based on student's availability).
Year 1 (M1): Semesters S1 and S2
15 September to 30 June (could be extended to 10th Sept), M1, at University of Liège (ULG)
July-August: summer break, internship possible but not compulsory
Selection of the location for M2 : Jan to March (see details here after)
Industrial partners meeting (SAB: January (Late S1))
Exams: January (S1) and June (S2)
Students who fail an exam(s) in Jan or June, can try again in late August.
So the acceptance to go for M2, will be given in late June or in early Sept (10 Sept).
Students who fail in Sept. will not be accepted to M2 (at ECN, ZUT, URO) !!
Year 2 (M2): Semesters S3 and S4
- S3: 15th September to 28 Feb: Lectures at ECN, URO or ZUT
1st Oct: Proposals of Internship & Master thesis will be submitted during S3 by ULg, ECN, URO, ZUT, ICAM, UGAL and also by Industrial SAB members and other academic partners (ITU, SOLENT, UFRJ, UoM, Osaka, PNU, UNSW, ..).
24th Dec: Final decision for student’s Internship & Master thesis
End of January: Industrial partners meeting. (SAB)
- S4: 1st March to 30st Sept : Internship & Master thesis
- Graduation Ceremony at ULG, around 15th Oct (optional, if the student is available)
Selection procedure of the students to go at ZUT, ECN or URO, for M2 :
The selection will be done in April (4 months before to go to ECN, URO and ZUT), during the first year :
- Step 1: In Feb, EMSHIP coordinator informs students about the maximum students that can go to URO, ECN and ZUT (no minimum value)
- Step 2: 30th March: Students express their wishes. EMSHIP asks them to rank the 3 locations and to provide few lines that explains their wishes;
- Step 3: In April: Local interview by ULG staff, with, if possible, attendance of 1 staff from ECN, URO and ZUT (maybe by skype).
- Step 4: Late April 2018, the EMSHIP consortium (EMMC) decides and inform the students. The final decision will be taken (by EMMC) based on the student ranking and the student wishes.